.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

SON OF P.M.

I am jiggering up and down and losing my banana for this great sixties thai group called "The Son Of PM". Its like crazy thai rave music, with a sixties beat sort of combo hammering away at one riff with some screechy organs and and a whole bunch of percussionists and the whole neighbourhood dancing around going "aaaiiiiieeeeeeee".

They called this stuff "Shadow Music" because The Shadows were real big in thailand and made everybody wanna buy electric guitars and vox organs and go 'ninganinganinganinganinganinganinganinganinga" with them. But it still ends up sounding very thai! There's all sorts a latin things going there too, i think they musta had some herb albert LP's in thailand too...

There were a whole bunch of these "Shadow Music" groups in thailand, including this one called PM Pocket Music (the PM being the inititials of their manager Phayoung Mukda). Mukda adopted son jjoined on keyboards and it became "The Son of PM". Or something like that. The liner notes to the record I have are in japanese so that's kind of the story of been able to piece together via the internet...

I first heard these dudes doing a wild cover of the James Bond Theme on one of those Thai beat A Go Go comps that dave beynon gave me, and then I just about lost my noodles when i saw a whole record of them. And on vinyl too! Go cop it and hold onto your banana...

http://www.honestjons.com/shop.php?pid=37888

No comments:

Post a Comment