.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Thursday, February 19, 2015

BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) ( Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2014)


It is a rare and welcome occurrence when I find myself grinning so much throughout an entire film that my mouth hurts, just rushing on the buzz of great cinema. I loved everything about this. The script, the acting, the the jazz drumming score, the constantly moving one long shot style of filming, the ambiguity of the whole metaphysical aspect. I loved the way it's very much an insiders take on the world of Broadway theatre, something I know bugger all about. I loved the way Edward Norton's character was such a jerk but you couldn't help kinda liking him. And it's so good to Naomi Watts in something good again. What an actress. I kinda feel like she balances out the scales for that whole Russell Crow thing our region inflicted on the world.

Seeing this really makes me wanna revisit this guys first film, Amores Perros (which i loved when it came out), and get around to seeing the half a dozen other things he's made in the mean time....

No comments:

Post a Comment