.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Charles Aznavour

Furrowing that brow...

On the job...

On The job again...

Looking like a football hooligan bout to break your skull open...


My mum used to play Charles Aznavour when i was a kid. His weary, exasperated frenchman persona always tickled me. The song I recall went something like (adopt mental french accent) "I remember when we met, you had on that red dress, it was ripped and dirty, but i was drunk, so i did not care. Happy Anniversary..." Very French. His LP's pop up in Op Shops fairly often, mostly the MOR 70's stuff, but every now and then a you'll find the 60's albums, sometimes in english, sometimes in french. On the back of one he says “I am a Vagabond. Everything about me is common. I am small and I am soulful and my voice is froggy...”. Gotta love that Chuck Az. It also claims he has sold 50 million records...

"You've let yourself Go" perfectly encapsulates his whole furrow browed frenchman steez. I love the turnaround at the end too, just so perfectly executed you can't help but smile and clap and say "bravo" to the record player. "The Boss Is Dead" is deliciously french too, and I think "If I Had A Piano" should go
down a treat on the dancefloor at THROB this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment