.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Monday, August 2, 2010

Criss Cross / Jazz Bands In Film Noir




I’ve been really enjoying watching a whole bunch of Film Noir flicks recently. In a way they’re kind of like the 12 bar blues or Gangsta Rap, they’re all basically the same but it’s the little details that make the great ones stand out. One of the things I’ve been enjoying the most are the nightclub scenes where some hot jazz band of the time are wailing away while the action goes down.
“Criss Cross” is classic stuff, with Burt Lancaster as The Chump and Yvonne De Carlo as The Dame both sexy as hell (not to mention Percy Helton fabulously ugly as the bartender), and every film noir box getting ticked nicely, but my favourite part was the scene with Esy Morales and His Rhumba Band cooking on a thing called “jungle fantasy”…



I also love this one from D.O.A with the band wailing in sunglasses and the tryhard hipster yelling “Blow! Blow up a storm!” At 1:02 you can hear someone in the background say “man, am I hip!”



And this scene with Elisa Cooke Jr (the William H Macy of the 40’s) getting all het up on the drums is just toooooooooooooo creepy. Love the camera angle at 1:06 that perfectly frames the piano man’s hands and Ella Raines’ tits in the one shot…



And I suppose I couldn’t finish this post without a link to Mohair Slim and Jim Dandy’s “favourite” song of the moment, the truly, truly awful “Film Noir”, by that shadowy man of mystery, Tassonpa…



Note Mohair’s comment on the youtube page…

No comments:

Post a Comment