This movie is the balls.
1. The intro is a whole minute of a dogs tongue wagging in the heat.
2. You get to see Mifune being clean shaven and super handsome while also being unusually young and callow and earnest and acting the motherfucker out of that shit.
3. It just drips with that peculiar feeling of immediately post war Japan, everything in dissaray, people all bitter and confused and the world changing and crime festering in the heat and discontent and so forth.
4. The long montage in the middle where he cruises the ghetto is totally awesome and makes the movie and anyone who says it's too long can go get fucked.
5. It has 1948 japanese burlesque dancers being all hot and sweaty in the summertime.
6. It has this great scene toward the end involving a piano that I won't spoil but I tell you it's a genius scene.
7. It has this other great scene earlier on where this hooker won't give Mifune the information he wants and being a desperate greenhorn detective he just follows her, like literally a foot away from her for about three days until she finally gets sick of him and gives up the goods....
Just watch the dang movie.