.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

DOUBLE INDEMNITY (Billy Wilder, 1944)






How did I never watch this one before? There's so many good things about it. I love the way Barabara Stanwyck isn't really all that good looking, she's just this super painted up hussy from hell with this fucked up curled wig on her head. I don't care what anybody says, that wig rules. And in the same way, the Fred McMurray character isn't really all that smooth, he's this big clunky guy kinda trying real hard to be that "shut up and kiss me baby" guy. And who knew Edward G Robinson could really act? My god he's good.

The whole thing is just class all the way. Great script, great score. I'm gonna watch it again right now...

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, good film. I bought the screenplay some years ago when I was trying to write my own noir film, in my earlier filmmaking days. My noir was a failure, but that screenplay was very cool. And I like your observations about how those characters are kinda the goofy versions of their archetypes. :)

    - Muz

    ReplyDelete