.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Thursday, July 17, 2014

MARIE FRANKLIN - MOON RIVER (360 Music, 196?)



Thanks to Fonsoul for loading this up onto youtube for me to stumble upon and play about 10 times in a row. And thanks to John Manship for having a copy waiting for me to immediately buy for way too much money, haha. I can't find any info on the net about this record but thankfully being essentially a jazz thing it has some details of the players on the label.  Legendary r'n'b singer Obediah "Young" Jessie is living out his dream of being a jazz man on Piano, Al Hines is on Bass and bad-azz be-bop drummer Roy Porter is pushing things hard as hell with those drums. And Marie Franklin, jeez, she is just shredding. "Twooo oooo ooo driiiftteeeeerrrrsss". I wonder if Mancini ever heard this thing? I can't place a date on it but from the sound I'd imagine it's not too long after the song debuted in Breakfast at Tiffany's in 1961.

The other side is a cool swinging blues medley called Blues Medley in G, but for me it's all about Moon River. I never really connected to this song all that much before, but now we are tight like red beans and rice. If you know me, come round to my house and i'll make you a drink and we can listen to this thing REALLY LOUD. Twice.





* You can read more about Marie Franklin at john ridley's excellent website here

http://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/F/marie_franklin/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment