.

THE CULTURAL GOOFBALLS ON WHICH I AM CURRENTLY HOPPED UP

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Big Jay McNeely



Seeing Big Jay play at the corner to a scant hundred people three years ago was one of the greatest experiences I've had. These kids don't look silly to me, cause I was there on my knees with my head in the bell of his horn, getting my brains blown out and making that same face. There something about big jay's sound, he's playing the same instrument as every other tenor saxophonist, but the way he blows it, it just sounds bigger and louder and richer and honkiner than everybody else.

A lotta the time when you see these older acts, you kinda taking your chances on what they gonna be like, but I can testify as your taste tester that Big Jay still got the honk to drive you into a transcendental frenzy. So don't stooge yourself and miss out! The guys 84 years old, so he's probably not gonna tour THAT many more times...

He plays Sat Nov 19th at The Corner


and Sunday Nov 20th at Caravan Music Club in Oakleigh


I'll be airing an interview I did with him on the show tomorrow and playing a bunch of his music, but in the meantime here's a couple of his honkers to groove on


And here's a clip of him on the Ray Martin show back in '89! Dig the part where he sits on Tom Cruises lap...


No comments:

Post a Comment